http://lulusbay.wordpress.com

Want to find me.. I will be at the bar with a glass in my hand, but not eating the nuts... bar nuts are sort of scary.









Monday, October 12, 2009

The Window Brothers

Usually, I look forward to the school holidays, the chance to sleep a bit longer is always a bonus. As Winter approaches and the mornings are gettng darker and colder, I was extra happy about this term break. Until I got the email telling me that between 8am and 9am, this coming Monday morning, the 'boys' would be arriving to install my new windows.

The punctuality reputation that Germans have, is not mis-deserved. For all the complaining you hear, German trains run pretty much on time. Businesses open and close on the exact minute that they state on their door, and tradesmen, generally arrive when they say they will.

It seemed to be tempting fate to NOT be at the house before 8am. And so I was. It is cold today, 10 degrees, rainy, and gray. All the lights were switched on, well at least those that that are more than wires hanging out of the ceiling. To kill time, I fiddled about trying to make as much space as possible, clearing paint sheets, and cleaned up paint rollers.

9am on the dot. Not a minute sooner and not a minute later. Two large vans arrived.

"Guten Morgen! My name is Pancakesoupmaker (or something like that)."

We did a quick tour of the house, he expressed his delight that the windows were easily accessible etc... and all was well.

Then the driver of the other van came in... "Guten Morgen!" My name is Pancakesoupmaker."

"Oh, you are brothers!" I said.

"Yes, don't we look alike?"

"Hmmhm yes, you are both very good looking!" said I, deciding that this was my chance to curry favor in the hope that they would do a great job, and do it quickly. They seemed pleased.

I have left them too it. Fingers crossed.

6 comments:

MsTypo said...

People who show up on time when they say they will? I'm not familiar with such creatures. LOL

Lydia said...

Really, you must try to find out if these people breed. Maybe they can repopulate the North-eastern tip of Africa.

oreneta said...

good luck! I suspect I will not have the problem with such promptness with my work. They're pretty good here, but...

Beth said...

I'd be thrilled if I had just one worker arrive on time - never mind two!

Veronica said...

Fantastic! Please ask them if they would like a working holiday in Oz ... I need some "French" doors, but would settle for German!

Rhonda C. said...

I wish you had posted a picture of these good looking brothers. ARe they married?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails